About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Monday, May 19, 2014

All Natural Stainless Steel Cleaner!

Hello! It's been a while. Well while I have taken these few weeks off I have cleaned my house, made my yard prettier, oh, and I had a BABY! Little Eli is officially 3 weeks old now! He is just so perfect, and cute, and perfect! We are really enjoying our time with him. Here is a picture of our little man:


There he is! We just love him to pieces. We did find out some sad news about our little guy though, he has a condition called Craniosynostosis. It's where some of the bones in his head fused together prematurely and he will need surgery to correct it when he is 6 months. So we are terrified but it is fixable and we have the best doctors in the area so we are hopeful! 

There is the update on our little family! Prayers are more than welcome as we go through this journey with our little guy! Now, on to the reason for this post. While recovering from birth, you tend to notice little things that you think are clean but don't look as clean as you would want them to. One of those things was my stainless steel in my kitchen. No matter what I do I just cannot get the fingerprints off of them. 

I could use commercial cleaners, but I do NOT want those chemicals in our house with the kids and especially with little Eli. So after trying to clean our appliances with  dish soap, with my other homemade cleaners, and with just water I had to figure out how to get the little finger prints off! I found a way to clean them that satisfies me. It might not satisfy someone that is OCD about cleaning and is far from perfect but it's the best way I have found so far to clean my stainless steel. So here it is:
  • Washcloth
  • Vinegar
  • Paper towel
  • Oil (I used olive oil)
Yup! That's it. Notice how I didn't put how much of each to use or any type of bottle to put a solution in. I did that because you don't need to measure a single thing, and you don't need a solution or to store it in anything other than the bottles it comes in. So first let me show you what my dishwasher looked like before I cleaned it:

Fingerprints galore! Okay, so what I did was take a washcloth and put straight vinegar on it. Then I cleaned off all the gunk off of it and kind of buffed it out. My stainless steel runs a certain way so I cleaned it with the grain. Like I said earlier in the post, no measuring! Oh an FYI for you, your hands will smell like vinegar. If you already didn't know that! Here is what it looks like after cleaning with the vinegar:


Now that looks a little better. It is at least clean, but I noticed you can still see a lot of the finger prints which was really starting to drive me crazy. It made me think why the finger prints leave a mark, I know its clean so the finger prints should be off too! Then it hit me, OIL! Our prints leave marks because of the oil on them so I decided I was going to fight oil with oil! I decided to use olive oil. I put the olive oil on a paper towel and applied it to the surface. I applied it to the whole stainless part of the dishwasher and rubbed it in really good until it was to my liking. So after I did that here is what my dishwasher looks like now:


Not bad huh? Now I would be lying if I said that this was 100% and my stainless looked perfect. There is still a couple smudge marks (not really that noticeable) and you do have to put a little effort into cleaning it. After dealing with my horribly smudged up appliances, I thought that this was looking pretty good! If anybody else had any other way that they clean stainless steel (that is natural) please let me know! If I find one I think is better than this one I will either update this post to include it or I will make a new post. I guess it just depends on how much I like the new one!

Go try it out, and then you can tell me how well it worked for you! I like it, I hope you do too! 



2 comments:

  1. I will totally try this on kitchen cleaning day! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! You will have to let me know how well it worked! :-)

      Delete