About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

DIY Clothing Stain Remover

Hello friends! So, if you were keeping tabs on my post you can see that I now have three beautiful children. Each of them has their own unique personality but one thing that they have in common is the little messes they make. When my mother in law came to town she bought Emelia the cutest outfits. One of them is white and Emelia loves chocolate, blueberries, pretty much anything that stains a beautiful white shirt. Well I went to go try to wash the shirt and one of those three culprits left a lovely stain in the shirt the didn't come out. So this is what the shirt looked like with the stains after I washed and dried it:


See the big stains by the bows? Ugh and isn't this shirt the cutest? I didn't want to have to throw this shirt away so I thought back when I was younger and what I used to get stains out of shirts. What I did was use Dawn Dish Soap and mix it with baking soda and applied that. It worked okay but I thought of something better. I thought back to when I was doing my phlebotomy (drawing blood, just in case you didn't know what it is) internship and got a little blood on my shirt. Gross I know, but the phlebotomist I did my work under said to put hydrogen peroxide on it and it would take it right out. Thinking back to that I decided try that out too. First of all I mixed equal parts of Dawn with the hydrogen peroxide. This is what the mixture looks like:


I applied it to the shirt and used my nails to really rub it in. Like this:

I didn't use the whole solution so if you did make just a little bit more and set it aside. After I "scratched" the shirt, I set it aside and let the solution really soak it. Having two kids its easy to not get to stuff right away. I think the shirt sat out for about an hour or two but I really wasn't timing it. Remember how I said to make a little bit more and set it aside? Now you will use that. You mix a little bit of baking soda in to make like a soupy mix. You want it to be a liquid and you put it on the shirt:

If the stain is not a set in stain or isn't a difficult one to remove you can skip the baking soda. I just needed all the stain removing power possible. I let it sit for a little bit and then I washed it normally. Now remember this shirt was both washed and dried. The stain was already set in. Okay? Remember that? well look at her shirt now:

No stains! Its a miracle! All you need is dish soap, hydrogen peroxide, and baking soda! Its a lot cheaper than other clothing stain removers and you know what is being put on your families fabrics! Yay! Go try it, and then tell me how well it worked for you! Now, to end this blog with a smile! 







No comments:

Post a Comment