About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

DIY Activity Board!

Hello friends! I am super proud of myself and I cannot wait to show you what I made today! On Friday we went over to my best friends father and step-mothers house. They have a little girl that is the same age as Emelia (almost 2) and she is such a smart little girl! I was shown to her room to change both my little ones diapers and also to use their rocker when I needed to feed Eli. I saw that they had one of those magnetic boards and on it shown flash cards to help Audrey (best friends little sister) learn. I thought oh my gosh that is such a great idea! Also a friend of mine named Hope has a blog and on it she put up a post about a responsibility chart. Here is the link to that: A Responsibility Chart for Toddlers/Preschoolers.

So I decided to put them together and make an activity board for my kiddos. I had an old cookie sheet that was just in my craft tote so I decided to use that since it is magnetic and make my own! Here is what I used/am going to use for my activity board:


I have a ton of newspapers since I am a beginning coupon-er so I decided to recycle that for our activity board. I decided to take the newspaper and rip it up to fit on the cookie sheet and I started to take just regular Elmer's glue and glue it on. At first I did it the hard way and watered down the glue, applied it to the cookie sheet with a foam brush, put the paper on, made sure it was bubble-free, then I put more watered down glue on top. I did that until it was done and I let it dry. I found out when it dried the paper just came off so I decided to just put plain ol' glue on the sheet, use the brush to make a good layer across the cookie sheet, and then re-applied the paper. That worked out a lot better and the paper stuck. So here is what that process looked like:





When I had the layer of newspaper down I printed off the kids name on a piece of paper and applied that. After I did that I had to find a way to hang it up. I looked through my craft tote and of course I didn't have any ribbon or any twine in there! So after thinking a little I decided to roll up some newspaper and use that. I took a sheet of newspaper and split it in half. Like so:


Then after that I rolled up each of the half and in the end I had three rolled-up pieces. I started at one end of the newspaper and rolled it as tightly as possible. It took a couple tries with each sheet. Here is what that looked like:


After I had my three rolled up pieces I taped one end of them to a table and just braided it. I braided it as tightly as I could and then I rolled up the ends and hot glued them. This is what my braid looks like:


I know, my picture was blurry. I'm sorry. I hot glued it to the back of the cookie sheet like this:


It was all ready to hang up! I really liked what the outer lip of the cookie sheet looked like so I didn't do anything to it. If you don't like yours though you can paint it. A bright color might look really cool on the outer lip. I, however, liked the older antique look so I just kept it how it is. I got flash cards and magnetic clips from the dollar store to put on there. Here is what the finished product looks like:

I also am eventually going to make a chore chart for Bridgette and a potty chart for Emelia (and later Eli) to clip up on it. I put on the blank piece of paper to show where I would put that. I have a ton of foam stickers so once I get some magnets I am going to put them on to mark how well they are doing. I wish I saved all the flat magnets (you know, the type that are mostly used at business cards) that I didn't have use for but I just threw them away. I could have recycled them! I guess you live, you learn! Well, there you have it. My proud little DIY project. Are you going to try it? I would love to see what you guys come up with. You can email me your little creations and I will add them to the bottom of this post!


No comments:

Post a Comment