About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Regrow romaine lettuce? Lets try it!

Hello! How is everyone doing? We are all doing great in our household. Eli is now being cute (not like he wasn't cute before) and smiling when I kiss him and play with him. It is adorable! Emelia is crazy, she loves to play outside and go for walks. Bridgette is up north (Michigan term for more north than we are lol) until the 18th then she will be home for the rest of the summer. Brad loves his new job, and we love the hours it offers. As for me, well I just take care of kiddies all day and am trying to get involved with mom groups. Fun fun stuff. I have spent today trying to call Eli's doctor about referrals for our appointment tomorrow with the neurologist so I decided to write this while I keep on trying to get a hold of someone. Now enough about us, lets talk about regrowing lettuce.

I have seen online that you can regrow romaine lettuce from the lettuce stumps. I have usually just thrown mine outside for the animals that gather around our house. I absolutely love the little bunnies we see hopping around. Anyways, we go through a lot of romaine lettuce in our household. I love to make salad out of it and put it on our burgers and sandwiches. So, when I seen that you can regrow the lettuce I thought how awesome!

I took one of the stumps of the lettuce and put it in one of Emme's cups. I put water in it just enough to reach and cover about an inch or so of the bottom of the stump. Then I put it in a sunny spot to chill out and get some sun. Our house has a ton of windows so finding a sunny spot wasn't to hard. Ever since then I have changed out the water daily and just watched it grow. Here is what it looked like on day 3:


As you can see it has a little bit growing in the middle. The kiddo's were so excited to see that! I must admit I was too because I couldn't believe that it would actually grow! So we did this on June 7th. 24 days later and we have roots! Here is what the plant looks like now:

Now...would I eat it? No, actually heck no. It started to get moldy and gross out the outside of it. Eww! Here is what the moldy parts on the outside looks like:


Would you eat that? No way! So it was a cute little project and very fun to do. The kids loved to see how big it is and how much its growing. I did too! I think I will keep it for maybe another couple weeks just to see what else it does, but its going outside for rabbit food after that. If you have done this project and had different results please let me know!!! Also some other blogs said to put it outside in the dirt once the roots start growing. Mine already started to go bad on the outside before I got the chance to do that but maybe you will have different luck. So I tried this fun project, will you? 





No comments:

Post a Comment