About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Thursday, August 7, 2014

All Natural Carpet Deodorizer

Hello Friends! This week/weekend we are having my brother and mother-in-law come to visit us! We are super excited that they are able to make it and my brother-in-law drove in last night. He made it safe and sound and my husband was so excited to have his brother here! I told my husband next year we are visiting him in Tennessee! We have been cleaning and preparing our house for them to visit all week!

If you look at my post before this we got a new puppy! She is so cute but not quite potty trained so we are working on that! Our living room smelled like pee. It was pretty bad and I knew I had to get it taken care of before they got here! To be fair it wasn't all from the dog. We are trying to potty train Emelia and instead of going on the potty she liked to stand up and pee on the floor. So, it wasn't all from the puppy.

I am trying to do things as naturally as possible so I decided to take the leap and buy an essential oil kit to use in our home to try to keep our family healthy. I wasn't expecting it to come in before they came in but it did! After trying to clean our carpet with any soap I can find and vinegar I was excited to get the kit in! When I bought my kit I was added to this thing called the Lemon Aid Library on Facebook. On there I could look up the ways other people are using the oils and ask questions. I found the best way to use the oils on there for floor cleaning/deodorizing.


First let me tell you about the oils I used:

Lemon- Is a very useful oil. Can be used for allergies, weight-loss, and cleaning. It has antiseptic-like qualities to it. Can and will eat through plastic, just like any other citrus oil. 

Thieves- Is a blended oil. It has cloves, lemon, cinnamon bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary oils in it. Great for cleaning and works awesome as a antibacterial cleaner. Diffuse it when your sick to rid the air or bacteria and I use it when I brush my teeth. 

Purification- Is another blended oil. It has citronella, lemongrass, rosemary, melaleuca (tea-tree oil), lavadin, and myrtle oils in it. This also is an antiseptic and is wonderful with odors. Diffuse it to rid the air of odors or you can make a air-freshening spray. I will probably post the air-freshening spray sometime or later. It has a ton of things you can use it for! 

There you have it! Those are the big three I am using for cleaning. First thing I wanted to do is clean my floors really well. I have one of those FANTASTIC shark cleaning mops. We got it for a wedding present and I use it all the time. Trust me its a good investment and its all natural because it only uses water to make steam. It has a carpet glider so first I was going to use that to steam clean the carpets. I was racking my brain on how to figure out to use the oils to help me with the steam cleaning too. You cannot put oil into the water compartment so I had to figure out a different way. I decided to put it right on the cleaning pad and use it that way.  I only put one drop of each on the pad. It worked awesome!


It really didn't take too long to sanitize the floors and I went over where I know there was pee a couple times. After that I was able to put my nose to the floor and it smelled good. I still wanted to make a deodorizing powder to add a little extra odor absorbing power. These are the ingredients I used:


First I took a plain ol' spaghetti jar. I didn't want to go out the the store to buy a shaker so I thought I would make my own:


See, told you. Also don't mind the mess in the background. So, after I got the spaghetti jar and made sure it was super cleaned out I got a hammer and nail and poked holes in the top of the jar. I did 7 holes and made sure to space them out well. 


You can make your holes on top any size you want. I choose to make them a little bit bigger so that it was easy to sprinkle it out. I put my nail right on top and hammered it in. It was really easy to do. After I got my jar made I got out my baking soda and my oils. I only used one drop of each again and I put a half cup of baking soda in the jar. If you want more of a scent or need more deodorizing power you can put more in there. I had another spaghetti jar with an lid without holes in it and used that to shake it all together. I would think if you put tape over the holes it would be as good. I would make it as you need it, I am not sure how good the oils will stay in the jar since it has holes and its clear. That was enough to do my whole living room. This was what it looked like in my jar:


After it was all mixed I sprinkled it onto the carpet. I paid special attention to the places where I know that there was urine. I let it sit for a while, I would say a half hour. I went and cleaned my shower then when I was done I vacuumed it up. There was absolutely no urine smells! My hubby is getting annoyed with all my oils talk, he is quite the skeptic about these things. So, when he got home I told him to smell the carpet. Of course he said "No I am not sniffing the carpet." He did say along the lines of "I could tell a difference because it doesn't smell like pee in here." I will take it! 

There you have it. If you have horrible smells in your carpet here is something you can try to get rid of them! I used Young Living oils for this. I like them because they are the highest grade oils and can even be ingested! I got the starter kit for them which came with a bunch of stuff. I got samples, 10 everyday oils, one Stress Away oil, a diffuser for them, and much more! Plus now I can buy my oils at wholesale prices instead of paying full retail value. You also have the option to sell them but you are not forced to if you don't want to.If you want to learn more about essential oils click here. Now, go try it out!








No comments:

Post a Comment