About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Monday, December 22, 2014

Party Size Elsa's Magic Snowballs (aka bath bombs)

This weekend I had a birthday party for my 7 year old. She loves the movie Frozen (what little girl doesn't?) so for her birthday party we went with the Frozen theme. Now that we have our new home I decided to throw it here and I invited her whole class. Lets just say there are 27 kids in her class, but since its close to Christmas I knew that all of them wouldn't be able to make it. There ended up being 7 that could come to the party plus my two nieces. Instead of playing games I came up with a couple crafts to do with the kids and based them around Frozen characters.

I will be posting the other ones but I wanted to start out with this one because its super easy to do and this was the first one that I prepared and takes a little more time to be ready. Being in the lemondropper group with Young Living Oils we pass around a lot of recipes. I needed to make a big batch of them so I looked at a couple recipes and decided to make up one by myself. This is for a huge batch of bath bombs, I think I made thirty in all and they were around an inch big. Okay so lets get started:



Ingredients

1 cup cornstarch
1 container (16 oz) of baking soda
1 3/4 containers of citric acid (7.5 oz containers)
1/2 cup oil (I used grape seed, and added some too)
Food coloring
Young Living Oil
Plastic Wrap


First thing you do is get a bowl. and put the cornstarch, baking soda, citric acid in it. Then you add the grape seed oil last. Your bowl will look like this:


Then you add some of your favorite oil. I chose Stress Away because I love the scent. I put around 6 drops of it because I just wanted a light scent. You can add how much ever you like to get your desired strength of scent. 



Then you take a spoon (or your hands) and mix it together. You want it to be easily molded and it to kind of feel like the wet sand you would use to build a sand castle. I added a little bit more grape seed when I mixed it. Not more than a tablespoon though. It will be kind of clumpy and I am so sorry about the picture, photography is not my strong suit. 


After that is mixed together you can still add some essential oil if its not strong enough for you. Next you add in the food coloring. I added one drop of blue (out of the neon package) and mixed it in. This time I used a spoon until it was mostly blue then I used my hands. 


Now, you take some plastic wrap (saran wrap) and pull out around 4 inches of it and cut it. Then you cut that in half. I could not take a pic of this, I am sorry it was really hard to photograph. You want them to be square. Mine made good sized bath bombs but if you want smaller you can cut the plastic wrap into smaller sizes. You can use silicone molds too but this was a cheaper option that made it look like actual snowballs. You also have to keep it in the molds for 24 hours so this was easier for me. After you get the ball formed you grab your square of plastic wrap. Then you put the formed ball into the saran wrap, it will look like this:


Sorry about the super blurry picture. I am so glad that I didn't choose to be a photographer as a profession! After its in the middle you pull the sides up and twist the top. Then it will look like this:


After that I put them all in a bowl and let them sit for 24 hours. This is really important so that they have time to dry. I made enough for each kid to have 3 and have some to show how they work. I told the kids that Queen Elsa sent some magic snowballs. I then asked if they knew whey they were magic. I told them that these snowballs are not cold and had them feel one. Be careful because if they are squeezed to hard they will break apart. I had a glass container (dollar store) with water in it and after they all felt it I put the bath bomb into the water. They got a kick out of it fizzing and turning the water blue. I supplied them with little party favor bags to put them. 

These were a huge hit. If you are looking for ideas for a Frozen birthday craft then give this a try! You can even do it on a rainy day and its so easy your kids can help! 


Want to know more about essential oils? Click here

Want your own Young Living membership where you get 24% off oils, a diffuser, and 11 oils to start out with? Click here! Need step by step instructions? Click here!








No comments:

Post a Comment