About

This blog is all about me trying out things and hopefully getting you to try out some things too! There will be a lot of DIY, websites to try, recipes, and more! If you would like me to try out anything please let me know!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Boxed cake mix taste like bakery? Tried it!

 Hello friends! My husband is out of town and I am with two little ones and no body to give me a break. Needless to say I am going a little crazy! Not to mention little Eli just turned two months old today and we got his vaccinations. If you have to know one thing about me, it should be that I am very pro-vaccinations. I can talk your ear off about how you should not only vaccinate your kids but yourself as well! I wont, but I really can! Anyways, both my kiddos are really cranky and I needed something sweet to eat and get a sugar buzz to get through this day. So I made a cake!

 I am a huge fan of boxed cake mix because of the convenience. You can just throw things together and it usually (I might have burned a cake or two in my day) turns out. Also the canned frosting is so easy to just throw on the cake. It really doesn't get much easier than that! The thing is you can really tell when it is boxed cake mix and canned frosting. It taste good, but not good enough that you would prefer it over a bakery styled cake. With that said have you seen those pictures going around Pinterest and Facebook floating around that says make boxed cake mix taste like a bakery? I have seen this floating around for it seems like forever and I always wondered if it was correct! So, I decided to live up to my blogging name and try it out!


Now, let me tell you what it says to do. So, first you add an extra egg, or two depending how you like your cake. I only added one. Then you add in melted butter instead of oil, and you double it. For my cake mix it said use a half of cup oil so I melted a cup of butter in the microwave and added that. Also instead of water you add milk. Then I added two cap-fulls of vanilla extract. The picture that I have seen around said to preheat oven to 350 then when your about to throw in the cake turn it down to 325. That is exactly what I did. It said to bake it for 25 minutes. At 25 minutes I inserted a toothpick it came out with cake still on it. I think the toothpick came out clean at 32 minutes. So keep your eye on you cake it could cook at different times!



After baking it, it looked pretty good. Smelled good too! It was hard to wait until it was done to try it! I did though, you all should be very proud. While I was waiting for it to cool I had a thought about the canned frosting I was about to use. There had to be a way to make that taste better, and also make it so there is enough to cover the whole cake. That's what I hated about canned frosting, it was NEVER enough to cover the whole cake! So I decided to mess around with the canned frosting. So what I ended up doing was taking chocolate (whipped) Duncan Hines frosting and add about 5 drops of vanilla extract. I say about because I went to go put some in the cap and spilled it into the frosting. OOPS! Then I added about a tablespoon and a half of butter. I like my frosting to be thinner. Then I added 1/3 cups of powdered sugar. I also added in a half of a tablespoon of Hershey's chocolate powder to add to the chocolate part. It was pretty much add a little bit of this and that until it was to my liking. Then I added it on my cake. 


Now the frosting that I made was thin. Like super thin but you can make it thicker by adding in more powdered sugar. Also you can do the same for white frosting. I haven't made it yet but I would think that you could add the vanilla, powdered sugar, and butter to make it taste better. It is easy to just make your own frosting but mine never turn out! For some reason my butter cream taste like, well, butter. I know butter is in the name but I want a delicious butter cream not a stick of butter in my mouth. Also the possibilities are endless with canned frosting. You can add peanut butter or any extract. Pretty much anything that sounds good, use your imagination. Now to take out a piece of cake and see what that looks and taste like.


Let me tell you this was the best boxed cake I have ever had. Now, to compare it with a bakery style cake is unfair. It is delicious but not bakery delicious. You can definitely take a bite out of this cake and a bakery style cake and tell which is which. It is very good and by adding those couple ingredients and not really taking that much more time to make it, it makes it like 1,000x better! It is definitely worth it! So, try it, tell me how you like it, and enjoy it! I am going to go and get another piece because it is delish!



No comments:

Post a Comment